Tuesday 17 April 2012

Gift from Nature

My husband and I took a day off to go back to our hometown few days ago. It is better know as 'balik kampung' in Malay terminology. Though Wikepedia says that it is meant for festival season, actually it is beyond that. The term can be used for leaving the city/work and going back to our hometown for marriage festival, visit the sick relative or just simply visiting our parents. It can be many purposes for balik kampung but the most famous is balik kampung for celebrating festival (Aidil Fitri, CNY etc). 

I was so grateful that my mom's home is still blanketed by greenery plants and the air there still fresh. At night, you have to sleep with stoking otherwise it'll be very cold and you couldn't sleep well.

I took my time to explore what's in mom's garden and so happy to see that a lot of plants like lemon grass, chillies, brinjals etc grow healthily. They need not to be taken care of but they grow abundantly in mom's backyard. For village (kampung) folks, if they have any seeds from the kitchen, they usually throw it away to their backyard, then the seeds will grow as a plant.

Since those things (herbs) are very much used in Malay kitchen, I took the opportunity to stock up my kitchen. 

Laksa leave

Turmeric Leave

Alpinia Galanga

Lemon Grass

Ginger Buds


No comments:

Post a Comment